On the blog this month we have been focusing on Aurilux threads and so I decided to use them for my art group project of “Doors and Doorways”. I hadn’t had much practice with Aurilux, and like most quilters tend to ‘stick to’ sewing with the Aurifil Cotton Mako with cotton fabrics. Of course there is no reason why I can’t use Aurilux to quilt with, as the sheen is lovely and the selection of colours fabulous. I did a practice sample first to sort out the tension, and I put in a new sewing machine needle as well. I always do this when I am about to quilt a new design.
For my Doors project I drew up my design in pencil and coloured in some areas using fabric pastels. It was the first time I had tried them, and not only are they easy to use they can be blended easily giving even more colours. Next I quilted the outlines of the door and brick surrounds using the threads.
Our art group encourages us to extend ourselves and try new techniques – so I decided to add some names for doors on the bottom of the quilt, and some loosely cut out ivy leaves at the top.
To complete the quilt I put some ‘tendrils’ of
tapestry wools and other yarns from my stash.
I am looking forward to seeing what the other members of our group make using the theme, and I will be trying Aurilux again on my quilts.