This week I had the pleasure of completing a quilt. Yay!! The majority of my projects are hand-sewn, so to reach the finishing line always feels good – to me, it’s a significant accomplishment!
My quilt is called “Reproduction Introduction” because it is the first quilt I’ve made (i.e. finished) using reproduction/reproduction style fabrics. Yes, it’s taken me a while to “catch on” to the pleasure derived from working with these fabrics.
I started with a piece of blue background and some contrasting “strawberry” fabrics.
The best greens were these poison greens.
Marking the design and being able to see it on the background fabric was a considerable challenge, and eventually I made a design transfer overlay which worked very well and which I discussed in a previous blog.
I had fun, needle-turning to my heart’s content…..
…and engaged in some fussy cutting.
I even made a label featuring the centre design and its fussy cutting.
… and on the bed.
And in case you are wondering, this lovely design is “Louisa” by Cherry Pie Designs. http://www.cherrypiedesigns.com/ I made a couple of small adjustments to the original.
For the needleturn applique I used Aurifil Cotton Mako 50 weight, and to machine the components together and complete the binding, Aurifil Cotton Mako 40 weight was my thread of choice.
My “Reproduction Introduction” is just that because already I have other reproduction quilts in progress or waiting in the wings. You might say I’ve caught the bug!