Recently I have made some miniature quilts, one of which is made from 1/2 inch hexagons. I wanted to be able to engage in some fussy cutting, so I deliberately chose a fabric which would give me plenty of opportunities to do this.
I had great fun playing with the fabric to obtain 9 different little “flowers”.
Once I had constructed 9 little flowers, I arranged them on the background fabric. I decided to use a whole piece of fabric for the background, but I could also have pieced the background. I used Aurifil Cotton Mako Ne 50 (on the orange spool) to create ‘invisible” applique stitches.
When all the flowers were in place, I machine quilted in the ditch around each one, and also quilted a small hexagon, the same size as the components of the flower (i.e. 1/2 inch), in the spaces between them. For the quilting I used Aurifil Cotton Mako Ne 40 thread (on the green spool).
Finally, I added some stripey binding and a rod pocket for hanging the quilt.
I had purchased 40cm of feature fabric, which gave me enough to make the hexagons and back the quilt (which measures 13 inches square). There is not much left over, and what does remain is very holey!!
Ta Da! My miniature quilt is finished and ready to display.